Click for live chat!

Can One Use a Personal Injury Lawyer When the Police Won't Act?

rest easy...

you've come to the right firm

We're Available 24/7
Call: (281) 748-2044
Contact Us Now To Get Your Free Consultation!
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form

Our attorneys at Daspit Law Firm understand how frustrating it can be when police or prosecutors refuse to hold someone who has wronged you accountable for their actions. However, even if you can’t convince the police that a crime has been committed against you, you still have the right to take legal action in civil court. Below, we discuss common ways to sue for damage or injuries that weren’t charged as criminal offenses.

Suing for Battery

Situations involving violence, such as fistfights and assaults, don’t always result in police pursuing criminal charges. If you were injured in a violent confrontation but police conclude that no criminal laws were broken, you can file a lawsuit for battery against the person who attacked you. This also goes for if you are involved in a hit-and-run accident. If police catch the suspect but ultimately determine that no crime was committed, you can still sue the other party involved in the accident in civil court to recover compensation for any injuries or property damage you sustained due to the accident.

Theft, Deprivation, or Misuse of Property

There are a variety of situations in which an individual might possess another person’s property and prevent them from getting it back, but it might not amount to criminal theft. Even if police don’t file theft charges, you can file a lawsuit against the person who took your property or deprived you from using your property. This is known as suing for conversion, and unlike criminal theft cases, the property in question doesn’t need to be permanently deprived in order for you to recover compensation.


Most criminal laws require a person to knowingly or intentionally act in a manner that results in damage or injury. However, there are also careless acts that can harm you or your loved ones that aren’t considered criminal. On example would be an accidental fire at an apartment complex. Although the person who started the fire might not be criminally charged if police believe it was an accident, other residents of the apartment complex can still sue that person for negligence to recover compensation for damage caused to their properties.

Our Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help You Secure Justice

If you are feeling defeated because police refuse to act or prosecutors won’t press charges against someone who has wronged you, then please don’t hesitate to get in touch with Daspit Law Firm so that our knowledgeable attorneys can explain all of your options for recovery in civil court. Our award-winning personal injury law firm is dedicated to helping others. When you work with us, you can trust that our skilled legal representatives will stand by your side and fiercely advocate for you through every step of the legal process.

We proudly offer personalized legal services to meet the unique needs of our clients, so please give us a call today at (888) 273-1045 or contact our legal team online to set up a free case consultation.

We Take Your Fight As Far As It Needs To Go

All too often, accident victims are steamrolled by insurance companies determined to minimize or deny their claims. Don't let this happen to you. Hire us to fight for the compensation you deserve.

contact us
see all the team

Past Blogs

Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form

At The Daspit Law Firm, Our Team of Attorneys Handles the Full Range of Personal Injury Cases, Including Car and Truck Accidents, Industrial Accidents, Construction Accidents, Maritime & Offshore Accidents, and Much More.


Toll Free Number

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

© 2022 All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy, Accessibility, Legal Disclaimer