After a car accident occurs, it is normal for you to feel rattled, confused, and scared. While the feelings and emotions are ordinary, it is important to make sure you perform and avoid a few practices to ensure you are safe and that your rights are protected. Below is a list of six helpful tips to follow after you have been involved in a car accident.
1. Do not admit fault.
- One of the most common mistakes that car accident victims make is admitting fault right after a collision has occurred. It is important to keep in mind that the situation has not been reviewed or investigated by a law enforcement agent. In some cases, the other driver involved in the car accident can be at fault as well. If you admit fault, you may be denying yourself the opportunity to recover compensation for your damages.
2. Call the police, no matter what.
- Too often, persons involved in car accidents avoid calling the police because they believe the accident can be resolved between the individuals involved. However, this may leave you responsible for the damages since there will be no documented witnesses to back your story. Additionally, there is a risk that an insurance company will suspect fraud if an accident claim is not made via law enforcement officer.
3. Record written detailed information about the collision.
- Many do not consider the importance of this step, but it is crucial that you remember to document any and all information about the collision. This will help when you are making your insurance claim since all your facts will be accessible.
4. Take photographs of the accident.
- Oftentimes, car accident victims only take a couple of photos or forget to take them from important angles. It is crucial to take photographs from every angle of the car including the inside. This will help insurance adjusters to assess the damage of your vehicle.
5. Seek medical attention as soon as possible.
- Initially, many car accident victims refuse medical help. However, it is crucial to seek medical attention immediately after you have been involved in a collision. At first, your adrenaline levels may be spiked, not allowing you to feel the extent of any injuries you may have suffered. When you seek medical attention, you ensure that no major injuries occurred.
6. Contact an experienced car accident lawyer.
- No matter how small your accident may seem, it is important to involve a knowledgeable and experienced car accident lawyer as soon as possible. They will be able to examine the scene and your details and find out if you are eligible to recover financial compensation for any medical expenses, emotional distresses, lost wages, or other costs you may acquire as a result.
Our Corpus Christi car accident attorneys at The Daspit Law Firm understand that vehicle accidents can be extremely stressful and frustrating. That’s why we are here for you. Our lawyers can listen to your case, detail by detail, and may be able to recover maximum compensation for you.
If you or a loved one was involved in a car accident, speak with a Corpus Christi car accident lawyer from The Daspit Law Firm today! You won’t pay a single penny unless we win!