Traffic accidents of any type are scary experiences, especially when someone is injured. Even after the initial shock, accidents can continue to overwhelm victims as they attempt to recover compensation by filing personal injury claims. At The Daspit Law Firm, we know that the actions people take immediately following an auto accident can significantly affect their ability to recover the compensation they deserve. This is why our team of car accident attorneys has put together a list of five of the most common mistakes a person can make after a traffic crash and how to avoid them.
1. Not Exchanging Information – After any type of traffic collision, if you're able to do so, you should always exchange information with the other involve parties. This information includes contact information, license plate numbers, insurance info, and other relevant items. If there are witnesses present, you should collect their contact information as well. This information is invaluable to a future personal injury claim – without it, you may be out of luck.
2. Discussing Fault – Never discuss fault with another driver after an accident. Even if you feel as though you may be at fault, there may have been something the other driver did to cause the accident. Instead of discussing fault, you can call law enforcement. A police officer can help you obtain a clear, objective record of what happened during your accident.
3. Not Getting Medical Attention – Some people don't like going to the doctor, and although it's understandable, it's never recommended. After an accident, it can be difficult to know what types of harm you've suffered. In fact, some injuries don't readily manifest symptoms, or may take a while before you feel that something is wrong. To protect your health and your future personal injury claim, seek medical attention as soon as possible after an accident. Be sure to also keep records of any injuries or harm caused by the accident.
4. Trusting the Insurance Company – After an accident, insurance companies will likely call you to discuss what happened, and you should remember two things: (1) You don't have to talk to them without an attorney and (2) don't trust insurance companies. Insurance companies are in business to make money, not to make payouts. Because of this, they may attempt to lead you into accepting fault or settling and accepting less money than you deserve.
5. Not Working with a Lawyer – One of the most common mistakes people make after an auto accident is not consulting an attorney. Lawyers who have experience helping clients file personal injury claims, especially after auto accidents, can fully inform you about your legal rights and how you may be entitled to compensation for your damages. Lawyers can guide you through the process, deal with insurance companies on your behalf, handle any complications that may arise, and make the overall experience much easier and successful than if you go it alone.
By avoiding these common mistakes, you can significantly improve your chances of recovering full and fair compensation. To discuss your auto accident case and how our Austin injury attorneys may be able to help, contact The Daspit Law Firm today.
All too often, accident victims are steamrolled by insurance companies determined to minimize or deny their claims. Don't let this happen to you. Hire us to fight for the compensation you deserve.