Offices Throughout Texas, Including Houston, Galveston & San Antonio. We Will Come to You!

Request Your Free Consultation
Get Started Right Away! Schedule your first consultation with the firm now.
  • Please enter your name.
  • This isn't a valid email address.
    Please enter your email address.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
    Please enter your phone number.
    You entered an invalid number.
  • Please select an option.
  • Please enter a message.
    • The submission of this website form does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Unless a formal relationship has been established in writing, the information presented throughout this site, and any response to this web inquiry, either verbal or in writing, should be considered for informational purposes only, and any information provided to the firm should not be viewed as privileged or confidential.

Poor Road Maintenance: Can I Sue the City for My Car Accident?

Poor Road Maintenance: Can I Sue the City for My Car Accident?

Texas roads are not all in good condition. According to transportation research group TRIP, poorly maintained Texas roads cost $25.1 billion a year of additional vehicle operating costs. If you were injured in a car accident caused due to poor road maintenance, you might be wondering if you can sue the city for your injuries. Our Texas car accident attorneys explain your options below.

Texas & Poor Road Maintenance

Road hazards, crumbling highways, and neglected upkeep all post dangers for motorists and nearby residents. Texas has hundreds of thousands of miles of roadway and over two-thirds of which are off-system, which means that they are not maintained by TXDoT. Instead, these roads are left to the oversight of local governments, which may have wildly different maintenance budgets and infrastructural priorities.

Common road conditions that can result in car accidents include:

  • Potholes
  • Cracks and breaks
  • Incorrect or missing street signage
  • Unreasonably constricted streets
  • Construction debris

Filing a Claim Against the City for Poor Road Maintenance

The local government has a responsibility to properly maintain roads. Therefore, the government can be held responsible for any damages caused by roads that aren’t kept reasonably safe. However, it is important to note that filing a claim against the city won’t be your typical car accident claim.

First, it can be difficult to distinguish which government entity is responsible for the road where your accident occurred. Second, you will need to file a “notice of claim” with the entity; plus, your claim may be subject to different statutes of limitations. Therefore, you should act quickly if you want to seek compensation for your injuries against the city.

If your car accident was caused due to poor road maintenance, you need an experienced attorney on your side. Contact our Texas car accident attorneys today at (888) 273-1045 to schedule a consultation!