Offices Throughout Texas, Including Houston, Galveston & San Antonio. We Will Come to You!

Request Your Free Consultation
Get Started Right Away! Schedule your first consultation with the firm now.
  • Please enter your name.
  • This isn't a valid email address.
    Please enter your email address.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
    Please enter your phone number.
    You entered an invalid number.
  • Please select an option.
  • Please enter a message.
    • The submission of this website form does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Unless a formal relationship has been established in writing, the information presented throughout this site, and any response to this web inquiry, either verbal or in writing, should be considered for informational purposes only, and any information provided to the firm should not be viewed as privileged or confidential.

FAQ: What Is the Minimum Insurance Coverage In Texas?

FAQ: What Is the Minimum Insurance Coverage In Texas?

In Texas, there are certain insurance policies that all drivers are required to carry. These minimum coverages, though, are not always adequate and don’t do everything to protect you when dealing with an auto accident claim.

Knowing what the minimum insurance coverages are and how they work can help you understand what you need to move forward, as well as to understand what other coverage you may want to consider to protect yourself in the event of a collision.

What’s Required?

The minimum insurance required is liability for both bodily injury and property damage. The limits must include at least $30,000 for bodily injury per person in the crash, $60,000 bodily injury for the entire accident, and $25,000 for property damage.

Liability coverage is designed to protect you should you be the one who causes the accident. However, the minimum is not always enough, especially if you are the victim of the car accident and the negligent party’s policy does not cover the entirety of your expenses.

What Else Is Available?

Car insurance in Texas can also include comprehensive, collision, underinsured, and uninsured coverage.

  • Comprehensive coverage: This covers damages resulting from vandalism, theft, falling objects, and other situations.
  • Collision coverage: This helps to cover the property damage expenses (repair or replacement) when someone crashes into your property.
  • Underinsured motorist coverage: When the negligence party doesn’t have higher limits and your damages exceed their policy, you need underinsured motorist coverage to help cover the rest of your losses.
  • Uninsured motorist coverage: This type of coverage is also used in hit and run accidents. If the negligent driver doesn’t have insurance, you will go through your own provider to seek compensation.

The expenses associated with serious injuries caused by an auto accident make it so the minimum limits are hardly enough to cover the entirety of your medical and property damage expenses. As such, it is recommended that most drivers carry more than the minimum required coverage.

At the Daspit Law Firm, we know how to handle cases in which one party doesn’t have adequate insurance or when the insurance company acts in bad faith. Our Houston car accident lawyers are here to help you every step of the way.

Call our firm today at (888) 273-1045.