Thanksgiving is next week, which means that many people will soon be hitting the road to spend the holiday with family and friends. With so many people traveling this holiday season, there is bound to be a lot of traffic on our roads and highways. Unfortunately, this means that there is a heightened risk of car accidents.
Protect yourself, your family, and others this holiday travel season with these tips:
- Check your vehicle. Before you set out, take the time to perform a check of your vehicle’s tires, brakes, windshield wipers, turn signal, headlights, engine, and fluids. Make any necessary repairs before you leave to reduce your chance of an accident caused by a maintenance failure.
- Be flexible in your travel plans. If it helps you avoid peak traffic hours, consider leaving a bit earlier than you originally planned.
- Be patient. Heavy traffic can be frustrating for even the most patient drivers, but avoid the temptation to let it affect your driving. Don’t tailgate, don’t speed, and don’t attempt to make unsafe lane changes – this puts everyone in danger.
- Take rest breaks. If you have a long trip ahead of you, make sure to take regular breaks to stretch, visit the restroom, or eat a snack. This will help you stay fresh and alert throughout your trip instead of fatigued and impatient.
- Designate a ride. If you plan on consuming alcohol at your holiday get together, remember to designate a driver if you need a ride anywhere. Too many drunk driving accidents occur during the holidays – don’t become a part of these statistics!
At The Daspit Law Firm, we care about your safety. We hope you find these tips helpful and that you enjoy a happy and safe holiday season!
If you have been injured in a car accident and have questions about your legal rights, contact our firm to consult with a Houston car accident lawyer for free. Fill out an online consultation form or call us at (888) 273-1045 to get started.