May is Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is reminding motorists to look out for and share the road with motorcyclists. In honor of building awareness, The Daspit Law Firm wants to encourage everyone to do their part in keeping others safe. Remember, motorcyclists have the same rights and responsibilities as drivers of other motor vehicles.
With the warmer weather we have been experiencing in Houston and the surrounding areas in Texas, it is an important time to focus on motorcycle safety and the steps motorists of all kinds can take to avoid motorcycle accidents.
Here are a few important safety tips for drivers:
- Always signal before changing lanes or turning
- Give a motorcyclist the entire width of the lane he or she is in
- Properly check mirrors and blind spots for motorcyclists before changing lanes, merging with traffic or making turns
- Leave more distance between your vehicle and a motorcyclist, about three to four seconds, to give the rider more space to maneuver
- Because motorcycle turn signals are often non-cancelling, be sure a motorcycle is actually turning before overtaking or passing a rider
- Never drive while distracted or under the influence of alcohol or drugs
Motorcyclists can also do their part in keeping themselves and other motorists safe. This includes:
- Wearing a helmet
- Obeying all traffic laws
- Using hand and turn signals
- Wearing brightly colored and reflective gear
- Riding in the middle of lanes
- Not riding under the influence
Motorcyclist fatalities in the U.S. made up 14% of all highways deaths in 2014, according to the NHTSA. This is because riders are highly vulnerable to suffering serious harm in crashes, including catastrophic injuries and wrongful death – and precisely why it’s so important we all make ourselves a little more aware about motorcycle safety.
If You Are Involved in a Motorcycle Accident in Houston
What can you do if you are involved in a motorcycle accident, as a rider or a motorist? It is important to make sure your rights and interests are protected, no matter the circumstances surrounding the collision. This is where a Houston personal injury attorney at The Daspit Law Firm can make a difference. Our legal team protects the rights of the injured – including injured motorcyclists - in and around the Houston area, and we fight to win.
During Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month, we urge you to take extra care as a rider or as a motorist sharing the road with motorcyclists. If you are involved in a collision in spite of your care, call our firm for insight regarding your options and rights in this important matter. We are here to help you rebuild after a serious accident. Contact us for a free case review.