Each year, the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) publishes a list of the most concerning safety issues. The Most Wanted List, as it is known, details the 10 most significant safety concerns in America across multiple segments of transportation – including aviation, highway, marine, rail, and pipeline. In addition to serving as actionable advocacy priorities, the list also helps raise awareness and support for effective solutions – solutions that ultimately save lives.
Most of the Top 10 Most Wanted safety issues are no secret. Although some people may not be aware of some concerns, most have encountered these issues on a regular basis. These include:
- Tired Driving – As we study more about the true dangers of tired driving, we’ve learned that it can be just as dangerous, if not more so, than driving drunk. Not only has tired driving become a major concern for all types of motorists, it has also proven to be incredibly dangerous in the commercial sector. Fatigued drivers or operators responsible for trains, buses, or commercial trucks present incredible risks to the public.
- Impaired Driving – Impaired driving has long been part of the Most Wanted List because it continues to injure and kill thousands of people each year. In continuing the fight against impaired driving, the NTSB has also placed an emphasis on targeting the rising prevalence of drugged driving.
- Distracted Driving – The dangers of distracted driving are common knowledge now, but the dangerous practice still causes far too many preventable accidents. Federal safety officials cite distraction as a common cause of accidents in all modes of transportation, and cite tougher regulations and new technology as effective solutions.
- Rail Transit Safety - Several train accidents have made headlines in the past year, some of which could have been prevented had proper oversight systems been in place. Improved monitoring can ensure the safety of riders and the public. As recent crashes have shown, poor oversight and slow corrective action were contributing factors behind accidents.
Aside from these issues, the NTSB also noted several others, often in areas of transportation where mistakes can have costly consequences. Additional safety issues on the Most Wanted List included:
- Aviation accidents and loss of control prevention technology
- Completion of rail safety initiatives and life-saving technology
- Collision avoidance technology in vehicles
- Improvement of occupant protection
- Medical fitness for safety-critical transit operators
At The Daspit Law Firm, our Houston injury lawyers focus our practice on helping people harmed in preventable accidents. We’ve seen the causes behind common accidents, and we believe that by making these issues a priority, lives can be saved. Unfortunately, negligence will never be eliminated, and our firm will always be available to help victims harmed by others. Contact us today if you would like to discuss your case during a free consultation.