Labor Day weekend is nearly upon us and many of us are already making plans for how we will spend time with friends and family. For many people, these plans will include plenty of Texas sunshine, food, and alcoholic drinks. Unfortunately, Labor Day weekend is also one of the most dangerous times of year, with roadways across the country seeing high amounts of fatal collisions. The National Safety Council estimates that there will be 405 fatalities during this one weekend alone.
Stay safe this holiday by keeping in mind the following tips:
- Don’t drink and drive. Many of us have heard this cautionary phrase before, but it bears repeating. Labor Day weekend is one of the deadliest times for fatal car accidents primarily because many people choose to drive when they have had too much to drink. Texas DUI enforcement will be out in full force this holiday to crack down on impaired motorists and help ensure the safety of everyone on the road.
- Designate a driver. If you do choose to drink, make sure you designate a driver or arrange for a taxi to give you a safe ride home. It is not worth the risk to yourself, your family, and other drivers to get behind the wheel when you have had too much to drink.
- Buckle up. Those who use seatbelts have a higher chance of surviving a crash than those who do not. The National Safety Council estimates that the lives of nearly 150 people may be saved this weekend because of seatbelts.
- Eliminate distractions. Drivers who eliminate common distractions like cell phones, food and drinks, and GPS will be able to better focus on the road and will be less likely to be involved in an accident.
- Allow ample traveling time. Give yourself enough time to travel to your destination. Drivers who are frustrated or pressed for time are more likely to speed or engage in other reckless driving behaviors.
By following these simple tips, you can help ensure that your long weekend will go off without a hitch.
If you have been injured in a car accident involving an intoxicated or reckless driver, contact The Daspit Law Firm right away. Our skilled Houston personal injury attorneys have years of experience protecting the rights of our clients and a history of proven results. To see if you may be entitled to compensation, call us today at (713) 364-0915 for a free consultation. There are no fees unless we win, so call now!