August is Back-to-School Safety month. With summertime drawing to a close, kids will soon be getting ready to start the new school year. This means that soon you’ll be seeing more of them walking, crossing streets, riding bicycles, and entering and exiting school buses. As drivers, it is important to be aware of our surroundings and to do our part to help keep kids safe.
It is important for drivers to keep in mind the following tips:
- Slow down when driving through school zones or residential neighborhoods. Be sure to observe the posted speed limit and be especially alert for pedestrians.
- Exit and enter driveways slowly and carefully
- Watch for children on or near the road during morning and afternoon hours
- Avoid driving with distractions, including talking on a phone or texting while driving
Also, talk to your children about simple safety rules. Remind them to:
- Always cross at street corners and obey crosswalk signals
- Never run out into the street
- Never cross in between parked cars
- Always walk in front of the school bus so that the driver can see them
- Always look both ways before crossing the street
School Bus Stop Signs
Remember that when a school bus displays a flashing stop sign, you must stop from either side of the road until it resumes motion to protect kids who are entering, exiting, and crossing the street. It is illegal under Texas law to pass a school bus while its stop sign is lit, and drivers who violate this law may be fined up to $1,250.
Be sure that you are familiar with and obey Texas traffic laws, especially around school zones and during times of day when kids may be travelling to and from school. When everyone works together, we can make sure that our kids stay safe.
The Daspit Law Firm serves Houston and the surrounding areas with unparalleled personal injury legal representation. Have questions? We can be reached 24/7 at (713) 364-0915.