Officials from the U.S. Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) – an organization within the U.S. Department of Transportation – recently concluded an eight month investigation into some of the country's most unsafe bus companies. The FMCSA regulates freight carriers and passenger carriers that engage in interstate travel.
Operation Quick Strike, as the investigation was known, surveyed 250 of the nation's most unsafe bus companies. Unsafe bus companies were identified using previous years' safety violation data. Last week, FMCSA officials announced that a total of 52 bus companies were shut down as a result of the investigation. Other results included:
- 20 bus companies were shut down immediately in April
- 32 bus companies were shut down after failing to comply with agency's requirements
- 340 busses were taken off the road
- 3 bus companies in Texas were shut down – Autobuses Zacatecanos LLC, Hotel Mexicano, and Agape Tours Inc.
According to the FMCSA, many of the companies committed serious safety violations because they placed profits before passenger safety. Some of the most common violations included:
- Inadequate vehicle maintenance
- Unsafe vehicle conditions
- Inadequate drug and alcohol testing for drivers
- Hours-of-service violations (allowing drivers to stay on the road without proper break or rest periods)
Ultimately, Operation Quick Strike succeeded in closing down unsafe bus companies and buses that increased risks of preventable accidents on public roads and highways. The investigations also sent a clear message to interstate bus companies that vigorous oversight is here to stay and that complying with all safety rules and regulations is of the utmost importance.
When bus companies or bus drivers fail to uphold their duties to comply with regulations and reduce risks of preventable harm, they can potentially be held liable for damages victims suffer. At The Daspit Law Firm, a Houston personal injury attorney is prepared to fight aggressively on behalf of individuals who have suffered harm in bus accidents, truck accidents, and other collisions involving commercial vehicles. For more information about your case and how our legal team may be of assistance, call (713) 364-0915 for a free consultation.